- Direct Shift-10ATMaximizing the performance of the V6 twin-turbo engines
Lock-up is engaged at almost all speed ranges other than when starting to provide direct shift feel, while the use of 10-speed automatic transmission results in both smaller gear steps and wider gear ratios. Consequently, the transmission offers a comfortable and rhythmical ride, better fuel efficiency at high speeds, and improved starting acceleration and off-road performance.
The Direct Shift-10AT also delivers drive torque characteristics and gear change timings optimized for gasoline and diesel engines respectively. For gasoline engines, the transmission provides a pleasing sense of acceleration that draws out relaxed torque characteristics even at high engine speeds; for diesel engines, it promises exciting torque even at low engine speeds. In this way, the Direct Shift-10AT guarantees instinctive and powerful acceleration for both gasoline and diesel engines.
- Mobility and off-road performance-focused package, and a functionality-focused exterior and interior
- Retains traditional off-road mobility and performance
The new Land Cruiser retains the same total length*3 and wheelbase length, and the same approach angle*3, departure angle, and ramp breakover angle as the previous generation, and so inherits the 200 Series’ ease of handling and off-road performance.
As far as the cabin is concerned, the front seats have been shifted rearward, and the structure and positioning of the second and third rows has been revised. This has led to improved interior comfort, expanded luggage space capacity, and superior collision safety performance. In particular, the third row of seats can be retracted into the floor to make luggage loading and unloading easier; stowing and unstowing of the seats is motorized. (Motorized seat stowing and unstowing is equipped as standard on the ZX gasoline, GR Sport gasoline, and VX grades)
|*3||Bumper shapes and other modifications mean that these values are different on some grades|
- An exterior that combines the toughness of a genuine off-roader with a level of sophistication suited to adults
The design of the new 300 Series focuses on delivering off-road performance: it follows in the footsteps of previous generations of station wagon-type Land Cruisers by locating the cabin rearward on the body; both the radiator grille and the headlights are positioned high-up; and the lower parts of both front and rear bumpers are shaped to avoid obstacles.
In addition, the incorporation of a large depression in the engine hood realizes improved collision safety performance and frontward visibility. A new exterior color, Precious White Pearl is also available. (Available as a manufacturer’s option on the ZX and GR Sport grades)
An instrument panel design and switch locations optimized for off-road functionality
The interior of the new Land Cruiser is designed to provide a comfortable driving environment and promote smooth driving operations even in harsh off-road environments. Details are outlined below
- The upper part of the instrument panel is horizontal, to make it easier to assess body attitude even amid drastic changes in road surfaces. In addition, in order to make it easier to verify vehicle conditions even in harsh road conditions, the panel uses six needle meters, positioned so they can be checked intuitively: speed, rpm, fuel, water temperature, oil pressure, and voltage.
- A single dial is used to select Drive Mode, Multi Terrain, Down Hill Assist Control, and Crawl Control. The dial is optimally positioned so that it can be operated while viewing the monitor.
- Switches are grouped according to type: driving and drive torque systems; audio system; and air-conditioning system. The layout of the switches is designed to ensure they can be intuitively operated even when driving off-road.
An interior that balances convenience and comfort
- Both the front and second row of seats feature comfortable heated seats and seat ventilation. (On the ZX and GR Sport grades; on the VX grade, only the front seats)
- The spacious and functional Center Console Box uses a two-sided opening structure, enabling it to be accessed from the driver’s seat, the front-passenger’s seat, and the rear seats. In addition, the interior is equipped with a cool box for chilling PET drinks bottles and other foods and beverages. (Available as a manufacturer’s option on all grades except the GX grade)
- nanoeTM *4 X, which is released from the driver’s side air outlet on the instrument panel and creates a comfortable interior air environment, is equipped to all grades as standard.
*4 nanoe is a trademark of Panasonic Corporation
- A high-resolution 12.3-inch widescreen touch display is available as a manufacturer’s option on all grades except the GX grade. The display is capable of showing navigation, audio, air-conditioning, and off-road performance data in an easy to understand manner.
- The vehicle can memorize up to three personalized vehicle settings―covering driving position, interior settings, and display settings―enabling multiple drivers to conveniently select their own settings preferences.
- The vehicle features Hands-Free Back Door, which enables drivers carrying a Smart Key to automatically open and close the back door simply by placing their feet under the rear bumper. (Equipped to the ZX grade as standard; available as a manufacturer’s option on the VX grade)